We’ve all been there girls (and some guys!), wearing a dark nail polish for so long that your natural nail has been stained an off white/yellow colour. We’ve found 2 ways for you to get rid of that discolouration and get back those clean, fresh fingertips!
Lemon & Soapy Water
The acidic properties of lemon juice can help dissolve away stain particles in your nails, and the soapy water can further assist in the removal of those particles from the surface of your nails.
- Soap helps the process by binding with the particles of stain-causing debris after the lemon lifts those particles from the surface of the nail. This makes it easier to wash those particles away.
- Mix 1/4 cup (60 ml) lemon juice with 1 cup (250 ml) warm water and 1 to 2 Tbsp (15 to 30 ml) gentle liquid soap in a plastic or glass bowl.
- Soak your nails in this mixture for 5 minutes.
- Rinse your nails with running water when done, and apply a lotion or moisturizing cream to prevent your skin from drying out too severely.
Warm Water, Baking soda & Hydrogen Peroxide
A soak made from hydrogen peroxide and baking soda can be a very effective stain remover.
- Mix 1/2 cup (125 ml) hot water with 1 tsp (5 ml) 30% hydrogen peroxide and 1 Tbsp (15 ml) baking soda in a small plastic bowl. Stir with a spoon until the powder dissolves.
- Dip your nails into the solution for 1 to 10 minutes, or until the stains disappear.
- Wash your hands with soap and water when done. Apply lotion or moisturizing cream to your hands when done, as well, since peroxide can be harsh on your skin.